Affirming Ministry Proposed Action Plan
1. Display visible signs that we are an Affirming Ministry:
· Rainbow flag on the church exterior.
· Our Affirming Vision Statement on signage within the church and on our website.
· Symbols within the church building representing a variety of marginalized groups (e.g. rainbows, a red dress, accessibility signage, the autism symbol, pins protesting violence against women, etc.).
· Affirm United logo on our website, Facebook page, worship bulletins and other publications.
· Add a land acknowledgement to our website main page and to worship bulletins.
2. Continue to educate our congregation with the goal of increasing awareness about power and privilege, marginalization, diversity, equity and social justice, including developing a training session specifically for our greeters and ushers since they are our first point of contact with visitors.
3. Continue to explore ways to increase the sense of welcome and value felt by all who attend our church. In 2022, we will be focusing especially on parents with young families.
4. Continue to forge relationships with groups representing marginalized people within our community.
a) Continue to forge deeper relationships with the Chinook Gay-Straight Alliances, Southwest Saskatchewan Pride and SaskAbilities.
b) Initiate contact with the Swift Current Branch of the Canadian Mental Health Association.
5. Continue to increase accessibility within the church building, including installing washroom signage on the second floor and creating an accessible gender neutral washroom on the main floor.
6. Form a permanent Affirming Ministry Committee and include a yearly membership fee to Affirm United within their budget.